Monday, March 28, 2016

Teaching Your Left Handed Child To Write

 
 
 
Finding out your child is a left handed writer can make learning how to write both hard for you and your little one. I am right handed, my oldest daughter is left handed and my youngest daughter is right handed like me.
 
When it came for my now six year old to start learning to write, I had the slightest idea as to how to adapt to her needs.


I found out that with her being left handed she often would write letters backwards, in the opposite direction that a right handed person would start their letters. Or would simply just be confused as to what the letter looked like because in her brain is was backwards.

It is normal for both you and your child to feel overwhelmed in the beginning.

Eventually I was able to adapt myself to hold her left hand and help her to write her letters enough times that she was eventually able to do it on her own.

Although it did help that my dad is left handed and was able to give her and me a few pointers.

Through trial an error we found out what worked best for us. For Addyson in the beginning I would write the letters almost like she had to play connect the dots to complete each letter. Games truly work best for our family and now I am proud mommy to a brilliant little girl who is writing and reading with little to no help now.

I would love to hear what worked for all of you for your little ones?

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment