Friday, April 1, 2016

Step Parents

I grew up with an AMAZING step father! I love him to pieces and I have never felt anything less then blood to him. I swear I even have his attitude and dry sense of humor. He has been apart of my life since I was 18 months old and filled shoes like no other man ever could. I didn't know my biological father until I was four. He wasn't in my life really until then. But that's a post for another time. My step dad was always harder on me then my step sister and for the longest time I always thought it might have been because she was his blood. As I grew older I realized that it was only because he loved me so much and only wanted the best for me. My step sister is much older then me as my dad is 10 years older then my mom. Don't worry they met when they were in their 20s and 30s so it wasn't as gross as it used to sound in my head when I was younger. Anyways my step sister was mainly raised by her mom which in my opinion did horrid job and basically let her get away with murder. She was an awful teenager. My dad wanted to make sure that I turned out differently. That I worked hard, studied hard, and remained focused all the time and held myself to a higher standard because it was a standard that he knew I was capable of achieving. I don't think that without his
influence on me as a kid that I would be nearly the women I am today. He taught me to love myself, he and my mom showed me what love was supposed to look like and I only wish I had taken that example and ran with it when I decided to get married the first time. But, we all make mistakes and my first marriage was mine and that's okay because I am only human. When I divorced my ex-husband I knew because I had such an awesome example of what a step dad should be for a child I had very high standards that I would not settle for anything less then. When I met my husband I expressed to him how important my daughters were to me and that in a second if he didn't cut the mustard that I would drop him for them without even thinking. He knew that I expected much from him from the get go so when it came time for him to meet the girls I hoped he would be ready. The day came for the girls to meet the man I had given my heart to. He exceeded my expectations with them and that of course made me fall even more in love with him. Just the way he looked at them and interacted with them I could tell right away that he was the perfect fit for our little family. The girls adore him and I think they might even like him more then me sometimes haha. Their biological father is of course not as supportive of my husbands bond with the girls, but after all the stuff I put up with him he can just get over it. I know that together my husband and I will be able to set an amazing example of the type of love they deserve. As well as the type of man and how a man should treat a women. Because Lord knows they wont get that from their father especially if they ever find out all that he has done in the regards of disrespecting women including their mother. I will start my decent from my soap box now but I just want to give it up for all the step parents out there that truly love their step children. Blood doesn't make a parent love does. Have a great day ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment